
Got the Big-Little Portable Phono last week. It comes in the mail. There's a needle still on it, an Astatic N76, but it's worn down and doesn't work. I have to admit that I have a bad feeling because I'm not getting any noise when I rub my fingerprint over the needle like I used to when I was a kid. I don't think the speaker works. Anyway, I order a replacement needle, a Pfanstiehl 166-D7. Just got it today. It came in the little package with the see-through triangle, just like I remembered as a kid, going to Laurel Lakes shopping center to buy them from Needle In A Haystack. After putting AC to bed I tried it. The sounds of Lionel Richie's "All Night Long" crackled from the needle, but nothing from the speaker. Figure I can break it open and solder, but that's too much time and stress if I can't get it to work. So this one will be returned as I wait for another to show up, same price, from another online seller. No bidding this time, just a flat $10 plus shipping. The description on this one says it works, so we'll see. More soon ...
1 comment:
Laurel Lakes is no more, in case you didn't know. Big box stores took its place.
Post a Comment